Veterans Day – A Day of Celebration…and Appreciation
November 9, 2015
Each year on November 11, we take this day to honor all of the brave men and women who have served our country. Once called Armistice Day, we now know it as Veterans Day.
For all the residents of ROSS’ military apartments for rent, here are a few fantastic ways the metro DC area is showing its gratitude for our veterans this November:
- The Concert for Valor on the National Mall
- This star-studded FREE event will take place on 4th street and honors every man and woman who has served or will serve in the military. Gates will begin opening at 10:00 a.m. at various locations between 7th and 17th streets, so the earlier you get there the better your seat will be!
- “The rain-or-shine concert kicks off at 7 p.m. and includes a viewing stage for veterans, active duty service members and their families. Attending members of the military are encouraged to wear their colors.”
- Arlington National Cemetery
- This memorial service begins at 11:00 a.m. Wednesday, November 11. This FREE event is open to the public; however, space in the amphitheater is limited so visitors should be arriving as close to the opening (8:00 a.m.) as they can.
- “The gravestones at this national military cemetery, which marked its 150th anniversary earlier this year, are an impactful lesson on the true costs of war. Walk the paths of this historic park or attend the time-honored memorial ceremony. On Nov. 11, a prelude concert begins in the Memorial Amphitheater at 10:30 a.m. followed by a wreath-laying ceremony at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier at 11 a.m. and an observance program in the amphitheater.”
- Women’s National Veterans Day Observance
- The 18th annual Women’s National Veterans Day Observance ceremony will take place Wednesday, November 11, starting at 3:00 p.m.
- “The ceremony, one of the major observances in the nation’s capital, is free and open to the public and will include formal military honors, a keynote address, veterans’ remarks, and wreath layings.”
- Redskins Salute Game Day Sweepstakes vs. Saints
- When military members sign up for the Redskins Salute, Official Military Appreciation Club, they will be entered to win a VIP game day experience. Twelve lucky winners will each receive two tickets and a parking pass to the New Orleans Saints game Sunday, November 15, and a Redskins Salute Security Fan Pack! Be sure to sign up today!
In addition to these major public events, a few of our capital’s museums are presenting installations designed to honor veterans. The list includes:
- George Washington Mount Vernon Estate, Museum and Gardens
- National Museum of American History
- The Newsroom – Free on Veterans Day for all Military ID holders.
- National Museum of American Jewish Military History
- National Marine Corps Museum
Be part of an active and caring community that believes all of our military members should be shown appreciation each and every day. Take a tour of ROSS’ MD military rental apartments and military apartments in VA today!