Adventure Awaits ROSS’ Military Families This Fourth of July
July 1, 2015
239 years ago, our forefathers (and foremothers) bravely embarked on a bold adventure to claim America’s independence. In their honor, ROSS suggests rounding up the family and starting out on your own adventure this Independence Day weekend. We call it – Operation Family Fun on the Fourth.
Your objective is simple: maneuver yourself and your family into any of the Top Five family-friendly adventures that provide residents of ROSS’ military housing for rent the most enjoyable and memorable Independence Day celebrations.
- National Independence Day Parade – On this grandiose adventure, hundreds of thousands of patriotic citizens line the sidewalks of Constitution Avenue and 7th Street, NW, in support of the National Independence Day Parade, which is the most exuberant celebration of America’s birthday.
- A Capitol Fourth – This adventure plays a tune all its own. A Capitol Fourth is a 90-minute free concert that starts with a breathtaking performance from the National Symphony Orchestra and is only made better with their rendition of Tchaikovsky’s 1812 Overture. To make this mission even more adventurous than it already is, the evening ends with LIVE CANNONS fired by the United States Army Presidential Salute Battery. This adventure takes place on the West Lawn of the U.S. Capitol and gates open at 1500, so be sure to get there early to secure the high ground.
- National Museum of American History – Prepare to head back in time on this adventure…or at least it will feel like you have! When you gather the family and head to the National Museum of American History to show your patriotism, be ready to feast your eyes on the iconic 30-by-34-foot (hand-sewn by Betsy Ross) American flag that inspired Francis Scott Key to write The Star-Spangled Banner.
- Independence Day Ice Cream Social – This is the perfect adventure for all sweet-toothed Americans! The Tudor Place Historic House & Garden is opening its grounds and will be offering guests “a tour of the house, a make-your-own-sundae bar in the garden and plenty of family-friendly games and crafts. Plus, all participants will receive a special copy of a rare, personal letter from Washington belonging to the Tudor Place archives.”
- Nationals Baseball Game – Truly revel in your patriotic spirit with this All-American adventure! On this very special day, there’s no better way to assert your family’s American spirit than by supporting the great American pastime – while cheering our team on to show the World Series champion Giants what “Natitude” means! (And while you’re there, be sure to pick the winning Racing President!)
Whatever adventure you pick – the sweet, the historic, the sporting, the grand or the musical – top it off with the most lasting adventure of all; one that will fill your life with the kind of memories you’ll never forget. Declare your independence from the everyday by taking a tour of ROSS’ military apartments, then tell your family, “Mission accomplished!”